This is a great way to help young players play with their heads up and work together to score goals.
Age group: U6s to U10s.
Equipment required: A pole, training vests, a playing area and a couple of balls.
Number of players: Six to 14.
Set-up: Create a scrimmage area. For ten U10s, I would use a 20-yard area.
Divide your players into two equal teams plus two players who are going to be the “goal posts”.
The goal posts hold a pole or stretch a training vest tightly between them. They move randomly around the playing area while the two teams try to score a goal by passing the ball under the pole or vest.
Play for five minutes, congratulate the winning team then change the goal posts.
- Players score by passing to a team mate through the goal. A pass that is intercepted on the other side of the goal does not count as a goal.
- Add a second ball.
- Add a second goal. Players will now get more shooting chances but it’s even more important that they communicate and play with their heads up.
Encourage and praise:
- Communication between team mates.
- Teams that try to keep possession of the ball.
- Accurate passing.
- Meeting the ball (as opposed to waiting for a pass to arrive).
- Supporting team mates.
- Winning the ball back quickly.
For more soccer coaching tips and products visit Soccer Coaching Club.