Age group: All ages
This is a simple, unopposed soccer drill designed to improve the push pass and first touch. It allows the soccer coach to work with a number of players in a fairly small area.
Make a 15-yard by 15-yard square grid with marker cones at each corner.
Between two and four players stand at each cone.
One football at two adjacent cones.
Players pass – two touch – to the player diagonally opposite, then run to disc on their right.
- Is body language relaxed and balanced?
- “Play on your toes”
- Eye contact and communication.
- Accuracy and pace of pass.
- Strike through mid-line of ball, keep it down.
- Contact with inside of foot – not with toe end.
- Follow through in direction of pass.
- First touch – withdraw foot on contact.
- Get receiving foot off the ground, “soft ankle”.
- Move quickly following pass.
- Encourage players to aim for a high standard.
- Older players should be able to recognise and correct their own faults.