Objective: To improve your players’ ability to keep possession, take possession and score goals.
Age group: U8s to U12s.
Set up: Set up a 30×20 yards pitch with a goal at each end.
Divide your players into two teams four plus goalkeepers.
How to play:
- One team starts on the pitch and players pass the ball to each other.
- On your command, the second team enters the pitch and try to win possession of the ball and score a goal.
- The passing team try to keep the ball.
- The second team has 30 seconds to win the ball and score.
- If it fails, the passing team earns a “goal”.
- After every 30 seconds, team roles are rotated.
- Play for 15 to 20 minutes. The team with the most goals is the winner.
- If the passing team can keep the ball for 30 seconds, it can shoot and score.
- Instead of a time limit, the passing team has to make X number of passes to score.
- Vary the number of players on each team. For example, play 5v3 instead of 4v4.
- The second team must win possession then make X number of passes before it can shoot.
- If one of the teams kicks the ball out of play, it loses a point.
For more soccer coaching tips and products visit Soccer Coaching Club.