The proper stance for a defending soccer player is shown below:
Advise your children to:
- Get low – you are harder to beat
- Stay on the balls of your feet – ready to pounce if you get an opportunity to tackle
- Hands at your side for good balance
- Keep your eyes on the ball – not the attacker
- One foot forward, the other back
- Play “side –on” rather than head on. This channels the attacker where YOU want him to go not where SHE wants to go.
- Maintain a “correct” distance from the attacker (usually about a yard). Too close and you will be beaten with no time to recover. Too far and you’re not putting her under enough pressure and she may be able to pass the ball to a team-mate.