This is a great warm-up to use before a training session or a match. “Power passing” gets your players into the habit of moving immediately after they pass, works on their ball control and it’s a good physical workout too.
Age group: U8s to U14s.
Set-up: Create a circular playing area about 25 yards across.
Divide your squad in two.
Place one half of your players inside the playing area and the other half evenly spaced around the outside of the playing area. The players on the outside have a ball each.
How to play: Players on the inside run towards an outside player, receive a pass, return the ball and move quickly to another outside player and repeat the process.
Switch the inside and outside players after a few minutes.
- Receive and return the ball with one touch.
- Receive the ball with the left foot, return it with the right and vice versa.
- Receive with ball with one surface of the foot (inside, outside, sole etc) and return it with a different surface.
- Add a blocker – a player who tries to block passes.
- Add a halfway line across the playing area. Now the players on the inside have to pass across the line to an outside player in the opposite half.
- Discourage your players from watching their passes, they now turn and run to the next player as soon as the ball leaves their foot.
- This exercise takes place at full speed. Do not allow players to walk around.
- Encourage players to call for the ball as they approach a player on the outside.
For more soccer coaching tips and products visit Soccer Coaching Club.