|Age range: Use this
soccer coaching drill from the manual Fun
Soccer Games for 5 to 8 year olds. It is called "Chain gang races"
and is suitable for children from the age of four but it can be used for all age groups,
even 13-year-olds, and they all loved it!
- Mark out two lanes about 20 yards long and five yards wide.
- Place a large cone or pole at one end of each channel.
- The players are divided into two teams and start at the opposite end to each cone.
- The first player dribbles a ball up the channel, around the cone, and back to their team
- The starting player then links arms with the second player on their team and they
dribble the ball up the channel, around the cone, and back to their team mates.
- Each time, an extra player joins the chain gang until all the players are in the chain.
- The whole team must negotiate the course and the turn without breaking and keeping their
ball under control.
- If at any time the chain breaks they must start again from the line without adding an
- Play five rounds and see which team wins the most races.
Progression: one or more players in the chain gang must dribble a
For more soccer coaching tips and products visit Soccer Coaching Club.