The following are some suggested rules for young soccer players, taken from the footy4kids soccer coaching philosophy and codes of conduct.
Any such rules should be discussed and agreed before the season starts, preferably at a pre-season meeting.
- Play according to the laws and spirit of the game.
- Be on time and be prepared for matches and training sessions.
- Display self-control in all situations. Never use foul or abusive language – before, during or after a game or training session.
- Train and play to the best of your ability, have a positive attitude, and encourage others to do the same.
- Respect the opposition. Treat them as you would like them to treat you.
- Respect the referee. Never dispute his or her decisions. They are only human and they make mistakes, just like you.
- Turn up for training and matches in appropriate and clean clothing.
- Wear the right sort of footwear (studded boots). Note: we recommend against the use of blades on health and safety grounds.
- Always wear shinpads.
- Clean your own boots/trainers!