Objective: This game called Breakout helps to improve your team’s ability to get the ball back from their opponents and launch a counter attack.
Age range: U6s and upwards
Set-up: Divide your players into two teams of four, five or six plus two goalkeepers.
The game is played on a mini soccer pitch or a 50 yards long by 30 yards wide playing area with a centre line and a goal at each end.
How to play:
- Both teams play in one half of the pitch.
- One team attacks the goal in that half and other team tries to win possession of the ball.
- If the defending team wins the ball, it tries to start a counter attack by passing or dribbling the ball into the opponent’s half (the empty half of the pitch).
- If the defenders succeed in getting the ball out of their half, only one counter-attacking defender can enter the attacking team’s half and no attackers are allowed to go back to defend.
- It’s now a 1v1 between the defending team’s counter attacker and the attacking team’s goalkeeper.
Progress by allowing an attacker to run back and try to defend.
For more soccer coaching tips and products visit Soccer Coaching Club.