Objective: To improve passing, movement off the ball and teamwork.
Age group: U7s to U12s.
Equipment required: Some flat cones, three balls, training vests in two colours.
- Create a 25-yard square playing area.
- Divide your players into a team of four (the attackers) and a team of two (the defenders).
- If you have more than six players, vary the numbers in each team or (preferably) set up two playing areas.
- Balance two balls on top of flat cones and place them in two corners of the playing area.
How to play:
- The attacking team’s objective is to knock the two balls off the cones.
- The defending team protects the balls by blocking shots, tackling and trying to gain possession of the ball.
- Play for two minutes. If the attacking team succeeds in knocking both balls off, it earns a point.
- If defenders can hold the attackers at bay for two minutes, they get a point.
- Good movement off the ball.
- Quick decisions.
- Spreading out and using the whole playing area.
- Good communication.
- Close down the attacker with the ball quickly but don’t dive in.
- Don’t allow the attackers to split you with a pass.
1. Play 3v1.
2. A ball that is knocked off a cone is in play and can be used to knock the other ball off.
3. Add a third or fourth ball on a cone.
4. Make the playing area bigger or smaller.
For more soccer coaching tips and products visit Soccer Coaching Club.