Objectives: to improve passing, movement and support play. It is also useful for improving defending.
THE PRACTICE IS PHYSICALLY DEMANDING AND SHOULD THEREFORE BE PRACTICED FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES WITH A REST THAT IS AT LEAST THE SAME AS THE WORKING TIME.
Use a 25×50 grid for younger players. Reduce the size to make the exercise more demanding.
- If goalkeepers are available widen the goal
- To score all players attacking players must be in the opponents half
- The shooter must be inside the goal scoring area
- No corners
- No throw ins, balls are passed in to play from the touch lines
- Scoring is not important, pass & move is. If a player fails to move after passing then a free kick is given to the opponents
KEY COACHING POINTS
It is important to let the players play and experience, don’t stop the practice.
Offer encouragement & positive advice from outside the area.
Use the rest period to question and give feedback.
Improve scanning ability with the emphasis on good positions, open body stance and scanning before receiving.
Run at the defender, turn and screen the ball if forward passing is not on, then pass back to a supporting player.
Don’t allow players to force the passes.
Introduce runs to create space as the players develop.
Encourage defending goal side of the ball to develop the principles of defending and realistic play.