Objective: To improve passing and receiving skills.
Age range: U9s to U12s.
Set up: Create a 20-yard square, split into squares as shown below.
Divide your players into groups of six: Two defenders (the diamonds in the picture above) and four attackers (the circles).
How to play:
Attackers try to put as many passes together as possible.
Defenders try to stop them and can move anywhere in the playing area but attackers must stay in their square.
Attackers get one point for a certain number of passes (this figure depends on the age and skill of your players).
Defenders get a point every time they touch the ball.
The first team to reach five points wins.
- Accuracy and weight of pass.
- Good first touch.
- Movement off the ball.
- Meet the pass if possible, don’t wait for the ball to arrive.
- Reduce the size of the playing area.
- Restrict passers to two or three touches of the ball.
- Make the game 5v2 or 4v3 by introducing another defender or passer.
For more soccer coaching tips and products visit Soccer Coaching Club.