Objective: To encourage your players to use the whole width of the pitch.
Age range: U9s and older.
Number of players: Nine (but can be easily adapted for a different number of players)
Equipment required: Flat cones, training vests, six small goals (or traffic cones/poles as goal posts), one ball.
Set up: Place three goals at each end of 30×20 yards playing area.
Divide your players into two teams of four, plus one neutral player.
How to play: Both teams defend and attack three goals.
- They score one point for scoring in the centre goal and three points for scoring in one of the outside goals.
- The neutral player plays for the team in possession.
- Play for 10 minutes or until a set score is reached.
- When the ball goes out of play, the game is restarted with a kick-in from the line.
1. Points are scored by dribbling the ball through a goal instead of shooting.
2. The neutral player is restricted to two or three touches.
For more soccer coaching tips and products visit Soccer Coaching Club.