This drill was adapted from a game in The Ultimate Football Warm-Ups Manual.
Objective: To practice passing and receiving skills.
Set-up: Put your players into pairs. One ball per pair.
Place three flat cones in a short line.
How to play:
One player is a server and his partner works round the cones.
The player working must go forward to receive a pass then back-pedal up and around the cones in order to receive another pass on the opposite side.
The players work for 30 seconds on the following:
1. First-time pass back with left foot.
2. First-time pass back with right foot.
3. Bouncing serve and a half-volley return with left foot.
4. Bouncing serve and a half-volley return with right foot.
5. Aerial serve and a volley return with left foot.
6. Aerial serve and a volley return with right foot.
7. Aerial serve and head the ball back.
When the sequence is complete, swap the players round.
Coaching notes: Players should work at speed but accuracy is also important.
- Make the game competitive by seeing which pair can get through the entire sequence without making a mistake.
For more soccer coaching tips and products visit Soccer Coaching Club.